Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Long History of Photographing Bridges

For years I've been fascinated by construction sights and bridges, and I do mean construction "sights" because that's been a frequent subject of my photography.  I'm originally from Massachusetts, where I spent a lot of time in the city of Lowell.  The Merrimack River flows through Lowell, and six bridges cross it.  This is a photo of the walkway on the Rourke Bridge, also sometimes referred to as "the temporary bridge".  It's been around since the 1980's - not so temporary after all. 


In 2008, I received a Cultural Grant from the city of Lowell for a project called Lowell Bridges, for which I photographed the six Merrimack River bridges and coordinated a design assignment for a drafting class at nearby Tyngsborough Regional Technical High School.  My efforts culminated in a photo show at a National Park facility in Lowell, where I also exhibited the plan drawings created by the high school class.  This isn't one of the shots from that show, but it is one of my favorites of this particular bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment